Diversity at Summa
VISION To be recognized as having a caring and diverse environment exemplifying a satisfied and engaged workforce and community.
- To eliminate all behavior motivated by prejudice or lack of understanding.
- To take a leadership role in all levels of the organization to create and sustain an environment that actively embraces diversity.
- To hold all individuals associated with Summa Health System accountable for actions and decisions impacting the achievement of Summa’s Diversity Vision.
- To utilize the successes in diversity to assist Summa Health System in becoming the provider and employer of choice in the community we serve.
Summa Health System respects and values all individuals.
What is Diversity?
Diversity is generally thought to be cultural or racial, when in fact it is much more complex. Diversity involves many areas including age, economic background, marital status, sexual orientation, education, work, religion, politics, mental and physical abilities and more.
To respond to the impact of changing regional and local demographics, Summa launched aninitiative in 1994 aimed at creating a more inclusive and diverse environment for our employees
Why is Diversity Important at Summa?
Embracing diversity is an important goal at Summa. Understanding and appreciating our similarities and differences allows us to maximize individual and corporate success.
We are committed to recognizing and utilizing individual talents and skills to deliver compassionate, quality care to our most valuable customers – our patients – and to each other.
Where are We Headed?
Today, the Diversity Advisory Council (DAC) has several subcommittees that are working to address how the different aspects of diversity affect Summa. The committees are focused on the following areas:
- Promoting diversity awareness and education for management and employees.
- Creating tools and services that help staff provide culturally compassionate care to patients and families.
- Incorporating innovative ideas, such as how to effectively recruit, hire and retain excellent employees, to support Summa’s mission.